Friday, May 11, 2007

It Makes No Difference What They Say....We're Going on a Halladay!

For my first blog on here, I get to toss out some jibba-jabba about the Sox and how smokin hot they are right now. Toss on the fact I'm going to see Jet play at the DC101 Chili Cookoff tomorrow and I've been singing "It makes no difference what they say, we're going on a Halliday" all morning long.

Now I've been a pretty dedicated fan over the years, especially now that I am older, and don't go out to the bars to drink every night. During the week, my evening usually ends up sprawled out on the couch, drinking iced tea (sometimes brew), petting the cat, and watching the Sox every night. During that time, there's one thing that I dread and that's watching the Sox play the Blue Jays. I don't know what it is, but somehow, those bastards always seem to get the best of us. If it's not their mediocre "Ted Lilly-esque" pitchers throwing absolute gems (see Chacin's outing earlier this season), it's a case of aging veterans and no-named minor lead farm hands cracking the ball as if the Sox aces are throwing batting practice (see the April 23rd and April 24th homestand). I've never understood it, so I just sit there, frown, and toss down a few brews (usually by this point, I'm angry, drunk, and in no mood for iced tea) and get clawed by the cat after yelling at the television. It sucks, but what can you do?

Somehow, someway, I think the tides are turning. Just yesterday I witnessed something that I don't think I've ever seen.....I saw the Sox rough up Roy Halladay. No, I didn't stutter, I said the Sox roughed up Roy Halladay. This man has been invincible versus the Sox over the years, to the point where I don't even bother turning on the television to watch them play against him. Like the old saying goes "It's like a one-legged hooker in an ass kicking competition" with the Sox being the "one legged hooker." It just makes me sick to watch. But to my surprise, last night was different. Hell, it was unbelievable. Dude had thrown something like 60 pitches and he wasn't even out of the third inning. The bats were out in full force lead by Kevin "doubles machine" Youklis and his merry band of misfits. Bottom line, when all was said and done, the Sox roughed up our old friend Halladay to the tune of 8 runs (7 earned) in 5 innings. All I can say is WOW.

Now that takes me to my original point of writing this (however roundabout we got here). The Sox are on fire. We're 23-10, in first place in the American League East, and 7 games up on the nearest AL East team, and have the second best record in baseball (behind the pissy pant Brewers). Sure the Yankees fans and ney-sayers like Dan Shaughnessy will point out that it's only May 11th, Manny hasn't had his first temper tantrum of the season, and Coco and Drew haven't found a way to injure themselves yet, but if you think about it, we are romping on just about every team we play....including a 5-1 record versus Shaughnessy's favorite team, the Yankees. That's gotta be worth something and have the old Royal Rooters excited, right?!?!

Bottom line, I think the days of the Yankees AL East domination are over. There's a new dog in town and they are wearing navy blue and red and whoopin some ass. So grab a seat, sit back, and enjoy the ride folks. We got 6 more months of some spectacular ball to watch before we take to the streets of Boston, 5 to 6 million strong, to celebrate another World Championship.

Beyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!

No comments: