Monday, May 14, 2007

Balls to the Wall


I don't like losing. I especially don't like losing to the Orioles when there is an Orioles fan in my living room- luckily I didn't have to endure that. To his credit though, he was pretty good about the whole thing especially when their bullpen totally crapped out and gave up a bajillion runs. The last time I had people over to watch a game it was for the Yankmee series and one of the people was a Yankmee fan. We lost that day. New rule at Casa de Gillibeann: Parking for Red Sox Fans Only. All other fans bring bad luck.

Schilling was looking his age out there on Saturday. Third inning starts with them knowing Patterson is going to lay down a bunt, and still Schill looks lethargic trying to make the play. The whole game played like a Yanks/Sox game of yore. Long and painful. Treschel, with men on, slowed the game to a snails pace. That can't help Schill's old bones to be sitting so long in between innings. Maybe this was his penance for his comments regarding Bond's alleged steroid use. That last sentence might be the funniest I ever write on here so enjoy it.

Yesterday was a day to celebrate Mom. It was a stunning day in Washington. The days you wouldn't think exist here. 70 degrees, slight cool breeze and zero humidity. We did it up in style in a way that would make only Mom proud. We stashed ourselves in a dark and dirty bar to get our Sox fix. I was accompanied by, I hope, the newest member of Red Sox Nation. Albeit not the biggest baseball fan, I believe I saw him enjoy the game yesterday and sport a nice camo Sox hat while doing it. I remember my induction into RSN like it was yesterday. I sat on a bar stool for an entire weekend and watched the Sox battle it out in the post season in '99. I sat next to a life long Sox fan and stereotypical New England curmudgeon. There was a lot of swearing and spilling of Sam Adams that weekend. The Sox were defeated but I came away with a complete understanding of the indescribable soul crushing heartache my Father had been through for the past 40 years. I couldn't wait for the Spring.

Yesterday, it was one of those games where you want to give up, but after 2004 you always have this slight feeling that the Sox could turn it around and win. Down 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th? Pffft! Earmuff the children, settle in with a pint, and watch the most entertaining half inning of baseball all year long. It all happened so quickly, I was almost in shock. I won't go into technicals- my counterpart has perfected his play by play- so I'll play Remy here. First off, I wouldn't want to meet Youkilis in a dark alley in Southie. I truly thought he was going to punch the ump in the neck and then maybe just Izzy kick the catcher for shits and giggles. The play was close. Real close. I haven't analyzed the Zapruder film yet so I won't make any judgements.

Secondly, big ups for Captain Awesome coming through with the big hit. Tek you may be on your way to sponsoring "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" commercials but you are still the glue of this team. And your thighs still look like they are carved out of granite. Just needed to throw that in there. Call me. K?

We were forced to watch the game on MASN with their awful announcers. B-O-R-I-N-G. Got to watch Uncle Tito's post game wrap up with Tina "Big Mouth Bass" Cervasio. He used the word "neat", "special" and "magic" at least 3 times in a two minute interview. It's like he's always talking about Christmas when he talks about those boys. He's right. They hustled on a grounder with two outs in the 9th. They forced the O's to execute a play and they forced them to error because of their hustle. That's how the game is played folks. Balls to the wall even when your down.

Beckett has 5 days to get that reoccurring blister problem under control. We meet up with the Detroit Rock City Tigers, then The Braves who were good like....I can't remember that far back. Then (cue the menacing rhythmic breathing of Darth Veder) it's off to the Bronx to pull one more brick out of the dilapidated house that Ruth built.

I know it's a day late but I want to send out a special thanks to Mama Gillibeann. Thanks for passing down your love of baseball and making sure I knew I could play it with the boys if I wanted to- or make them suffer the consequences if they didn't let me!

No comments: